Get ready to splatter some grays, slice up some sectopods, and run screaming from some Chryssalids. Firaxis and 2K Games have today released XCOM: Enemy Unknown for the Mac, the official OS X port of last year’s best strategy game.
Based upon the classic Gollop Bros. game X-Com: UFO Defense first released for PC back in 1994, XCON is a turn-based strategy game that mixes tactical soldier vs. aliens battles with base management and a larger, geoscape view in which you control a global anti-extraterrestrial military force and repel a full-scale alien invasion of the earth.
Here are some of the game’s key features:
• A beautifully realized re-imagining of the groundbreaking classic X-COM: UFO Defense.
• Command XCOM’s soldiers in tense turn-based battles where each decision could be the difference between game-changing gains or devastating losses for humanity.
• Expand the XCOM base, manage its resources, oversee international relations and control Earth’s satellite coverage and air defenses.
• Recruit, customize and equip an elite squad, then upgrade each soldier’s unique skills and abilities as they gain experience in the field.
• Recover artifacts from battle and use them to research and build powerful technologies that can be turned against the invaders.
• Mix and match aliens and soldiers to create powerful squads in LAN and online multiplayer.
• XCOM: Enemy Unknown – Elite Edition includes the Slingshot and Elite Soldier Pack add-on content, as well as the Second Wave update, which includes a series of gameplay modifiers that add further depth and flexibility to the campaign.
You can buy XCOM: Enemy Unknown is available now on the Mac App Store for just $49.99. If that’s too rich for your blood, or your Mac won’t support the system requirements, buck up: an iOS version is coming this summer.
- Source Mac App Store