Lisa Works at a Design Shop in Denver



Owner and founder of the Denver graphic design studio Matter, Rick Griffith loves all things Apple. He and his crew use the latest Macs among other gear to do their innovative work. They also love vintage technology and on a recent trip to Denver, my visit to the Matter command center unearthed a pristine Lisa in the wild, which we share with you here.

Bonus points if you can identify what she’s sitting on.

30 responses to “Lisa Works at a Design Shop in Denver”

  1. Aaron says:

    That machine is an old movable-type printing press, frequently referred to as a “Windmill.” My father used to be a printer and had one of these in his shop specifically for embossing business cards, letterheads and invitations.

    For what may I exchange my “bonus points” ?

  2. jdm7 says:

    is it a platen printing press?

  3. Tim says:

    It’s sitting on a letter press.

  4. cyxodus says:

    That’s a 1930’s Platen printing press. My Dad identified it right away and use to work at a printing place that had one.

  5. j0331das says:

    It’s setting on an old printing press.

  6. El Fez says:

    Ohh! OOh! I know! (I ran these and others like it for 15 years)


  7. Dean Putney says:

    Is that a chair of some sort? Is it an optometry chair? Or is it a lithograph printing press of some sort? Seems like it might be a printing press or something since Matter’s site has mostly to do with paper.

  8. geckonia says:

    ohhhh… move that old computer so I can see that beautiful printing press!

  9. geckonia says:

    ohhhh… move that old computer so I can see that beautiful printing press!

  10. jaykayess says:

    A linotype?

  11. meritter says:

    Looks like the Lisa is sitting on a manual printing press, the kind I used in a high school shop class in 1970. The round metal surface above her is where the ink is rolled onto.

  12. danmargri says:

    Is that an old press?

  13. Jet says:

    printing press?

  14. titivillus says:

    In my country, Catalonia, I don’t know why, it’s called Minerva, a kind of letterpress, but for sure it isn’t manual, the right attachment, a sort of wheel I don’t know how it’s called in English, links to an electrical motor.
    Bonus points? Are you kidding? Right?

    Excuse my English… if you can!

  15. titivillus says:

    In my country, Catalonia, it’s called a Minerva, I think was the first sold brand, but I don’t know for sure.
    It’s a kind of letterpress, it could be manual, with the operator moving it by hand on the little ones or by feet on the big ones or mechanical like the one pictured. The right attachment, a wheel I don’t know how call it in English, couples it to an electrical motor.

    Excuse my English if you can!

  16. Ioana Stan says:

    Interesting, thanks for that info. It`s so bestial. Thanks again.

    Best regards,
    Ioana Stan
    Dianys Media Solutions
    Realizare Site Web
    Creare Magazin Online
    Realizare Magazin Virtual