This week on Cult of Mac’s podcast: iOS 17 might turn your iPhone into a dashboard for your smart home. Plus, Apple’s new journaling app seems like it will arrive soon as well. With WWDC23 just weeks away, we don’t have long to wait.
Also on The CultCast:
- Three Apple TV+ hits conquer the streaming charts.
- Still: A Michael J. Fox Movie is a moving and surprisingly inspirational documentary about the actor’s life (and his heroic battle with Parkinson’s disease).
- MoviePass is back from the dead — and one option actually sounds enticing!
Listen to this week’s episode of The CultCast in the Podcasts app or your favorite podcast app. (Be sure to subscribe and leave us a review if you like it!) Or watch the video live stream, embedded below.
The CultCast live stream archive
Our sponsors: Factor and Squarespace
Factor: Need some delicious man food? Try Factor, America’s No. 1 ready-to-eat meal kit. Fuel up fast with fantastic meals delivered straight to your door. You’ll save time, eat well, and tackle everything on your to-do list. Hit factormeals.com/tcm50 and use code tcm50 to get 50% off your first box.
Squarespace: Easily create a beautiful website all by yourself at Squarespace.com/cultcast. Use offer code CultCast at checkout to get 10% off your first purchase of a website or domain.
This week’s top Apple news
Here are the headlines we’re talking about on this week’s show:
- iOS 17 might add smart home display mode to iPhone
- iOS 17 to include dedicated journaling app and mood tracking (MacRumors)
- iOS 17 said to feature Wallet, Find My, SharePlay and AirPlay upgrades (MacRumors)
- 3 Apple TV+ hits are more popular than almost anything else on streaming
- Blast off with space games and female erotica (includes info on Facer app for Apple Watch)
- MoviePass relaunches nationwide with a new pricing model
And here are the Apple TV+ shows we talked about, including Cult of Mac’s dueling reviews of Ghosted, the action-oriented spy flick that stars Chris Evans and Ana de Armas.
- 3 Reasons to Watch: Silo on Apple TV+
- Still: A Michael J. Fox Movie will inspire and entertain you [Apple TV+ review]
- Prep to be friends with actual benefits in new comedy Platonic [Apple TV+ recap]
- High Desert is the right kind of rolling disaster [Apple TV+ recap]
- Ignore the critics — Ghosted is a lot of fun
- Ghosted is a lifeless spy flick you should skip [Apple TV+ movie review]
Weekly Cult of Mac giveaway
If you’re not an Apple Watch Ultra person, move right along. This week Cult of Mac and Elkson teamed up to give away five Quattro Pro 2.0 cases for Apple Watch Ultra. It’s a band that looks kind of like Apple’s Ocean band, except it’s attached to a bumper case that will protect your badass titanium smartwatch.
All winners also will receive an Apple Watch Ultra screen protector for an extra dose of “thank god I didn’t bust my expensive smartwatch.” To enter, just visit our giveaway page and get it on.
Also available in the Cult of Mac Store: Elkson Quattro Pro 2.0 for Apple Watch Ultra ($25.99)