Part of the fun of covering computer setups for Cult of Mac is seeing how a setup is never “done.” Blood, sweat, tears and time may go into it, but it will always need something — whether that’s missing functionality, better decoration or the next generation of a key device.
Today’s featured M2 MacBook Air setup is a good example. Since we featured an earlier version of it just weeks ago, the user made important changes. He added two components to maximize crucial iPad functionality and pump up audio.
This post contains affiliate links. Cult of Mac may earn a commission when you use our links to buy items.
M2 MacBook Air setup gets 360-degree iPad stand and DAC/amp for audio
Redditor drhippopotato (“Hip”) showcased the updates to his setup in a post entitled, “Updated my setup – new iPad stand and DAC/amp.”
We last featured an earlier take of Hip’s setup, with its M2 MacBook Air, iPads Pro and mini 6, 4K LG external display and raft of fine audio products, in a Cult of Mac Setups article headlined, “Trim M2 MacBook Air rig packs stellar audio.”
And since then, the audio has only gotten better. And his larger iPad has a new 360-degree roost that makes the tablet even more useful.
Here’s what Hip added and how he benefits from the new gear:
- FiiO K7 Full Balanced HiFi DAC Headphone Amplifier. He mounted it under the desk, out of sight. DAC stands for digital-to-analog converter, to decompress digital audio signals for full analog sound. It also boosts output for most headphones.
- Inovagen Float iPad stand. It features 360 degrees of articulation. And Hip said: “Universal Control and continuity on macOS/iPadOS are a godsend. The experience is seamless and effortless.”
But the Float iPad stand wasn’t the only contender in Hip’s search. And he ended up saving real money with his final choice.
“I was initially intrigued by Lab22’s offering — but it was way too overpriced for what it is,” Hip said. “Found this one for 1/3 the price — INOVAGEN FLOAT. I bought it off a local online retailer here in Singapore though — it may not ship to you depending on where you’re based.”
Shop these items now:
Computers and iPad stand:
- Elago W4 Apple Watch silicone dock
- Belkin MagSafe 2-in-1 Wireless Charging Stand
- Native Union charging docks for iPhone and Apple Watch
If you would like to see your setup featured on Cult of Mac, send some high-res pictures to email@example.com. Please provide a detailed list of your equipment. Tell us what you like or dislike about your setup, and fill us in on any special touches, challenges and plans for new additions.
Model specfications: AK4493S*2, XMOS XU208 PCM384kHz DSD256,USB/Optical/Coaxial/RCA Inputs, 6.35mm/4.4mm Output(US Plug).