This week on Cult of Mac’s podcast: The first reviews for the new M2 MacBook Pro are … not good.
Also on The CultCast:
- Benchmarks for Apple’s new M2 chip continue to impress, but you can expect even more amazing performance boosts later this year.
- What the upcoming CarPlay update is really about.
- Apple TV+ has another hit on its hands with For All Mankind.
Listen to this week’s episode of The CultCast in the Podcasts app or your favorite podcast app. (Be sure to subscribe and leave us a review if you like it!) Or watch the video livestream, embedded below.
Our sponsor: CleanMyMac X
CleanMyMac X, from Ukrainian developer MacPaw, is a decluttering app for Mac that can keep your computer in tip-top shape. It includes 49 tools to find and delete invisible junk clogging your hard drive. Cult of Mac publisher Leander Kahney swears by CleanMyMac X (instead of swearing at it, as he does with most apps).
Get CleanMyMac X today with 5% off at macpaw.app/cultcast. Discount valid until June 30.
The CultCast livestream archive
This week’s top Apple news
Here are the headlines we’re talking about on this week’s show:
- M2 MacBook Pro review roundup: Powerful chip, archaic design
- 15-inch MacBook with M2 Pro might launch in spring 2023
- Apple M2 is fast, but not faster than M1 Pro or M1 Max
- Apple’s New CarPlay Is the Foreshock to Releasing Its Own Vehicle (Bloomberg)
- iOS 16 lets users report spam SMS messages as junk
- Apple TV+ sci-fi drama For All Mankind rockets to popularity
Cult of Mac buyer’s guides
- M1 vs. M2 MacBook Air: Which one should you buy?
- M2 MacBook Air vs. M2 MacBook Pro: Is the Pro worth the extra $100?
Weekly Cult of Mac giveaway
This week, Cult of Mac is giving away five 65W gallium nitride chargers from Lululook. With three ports — two USB-C and one USB-A — these are a perfect fit for anyone who needs a powerful yet compact charger. They can charge everything, from your iPhone or AirPods to your MacBook Pro.
To enter, just sign up for the Cult of Mac Today newsletter from our giveaway page. Cult of Mac Today is our free daily newsletter that gives you three to five of the top news stories of the day. You can get additional entries through the giveaway widget by visiting our Facebook and Twitter pages, etc.
Gruber’s great question and Federighi’s hilarious reply
Finally, here’s that great moment during The Talk Show live at WWDC22 when host John Gruber asks Apple execs Craig Federighi and Greg Joswiak about CarPlay.
As mentioned on The CultCast, I found their responses absolutely hilarious. (The whole episode of this special live Talk Show is well worth watching, but this clip starts with Gruber’s question in case you just want to see that.)