This week on The CultCast: With iPhone XR finally here, we’ll give you 10 reasons why it’s the best iPhone you can get. Plus: How iOS 12.1 solves “Beautygate”; new Macs leak ahead of Apple’s big October hardware event; Ming-Chi Kuo says new iPad minis, AirPods and the AirPower mat are finally on the way. Finally, we wrap up with our iPhone XS cases and a superb Thunderbolt 3 dock in an all-new Under Review.
Our thanks to Squarespace for supporting this episode. It’s simple to accept Apple Pay and sell your wares with your very own Squarespace website. Enter offer code CultCast at checkout to get 10% off your first hosting plan or domain.
CultCast #359 – 10 reasons iPhone XR is the one to buy!
@erfon / @lewiswallace / @lkahney
- You may remember that people were complaining that the iPhone XS/MAX cam were making them look too good. Ugly people everywhere were very offended and prefer to remain ugly in their photos.
- Issue was causing people to have “unnaturally” smooth skin times and reduces blemishes. Sometimes it did look unatural, but that’s always what HDR has done.
- Nilay Patel spoke to Apple about the problem and here’s what they told him the issue was actually a bug
- “iOS 12.1 will fix a bug in its Smart HDR camera system that resulted in smoother-looking photos taken by the front camera on the iPhone XS and XR,”
- What causes the Beautygate issue, Patel explains, is the Smart HDR system choosing the wrong base frame for HDR processing when a selfie is snapped. Rather than choosing a frame with a short shutter speed to preserve detail, it is choosing a frame with a longer shutter speed. “This should all be fixed in iOS 12.1, which will pick the sharpest base frame for the HDR merge when taking selfies.”
- The Eurasian Economic Competition database may have just confirmed more than one Mac will be unveiled at Apple’s upcoming more in the making hardware event
- The online database has been updated with three new filings for desktop computers running macOS 10.14. These most likely refer to rumored upgrades of the iMac, Mac mini, and the new lower cost MacBook Air replacement Ming Chi Kuo has been talking about for the last 6 months.
- The iPad mini hasn’t been updated since March 2017, but TFI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo told investors today that an iPad Mini is in the works, though he doesn’t think it’ll launch on Oct. 30th.
- He thinks AirPods could get updated during Q4 this year or during Q1 of next year, and claim AirPower could finally come out during the same period.
- If you haven’t already pre-ordered an iPhone XR, the only way to get one on its release date is to head to a nearby Apple Store and hope they have one in stock.
- Pre-orders are now shipping around Nov 7.