This week on The CultCast: According to new reports, the iPhone 8 will get a huge makeover with an edge-to-edge screen, wireless charging, a huge battery and more. We’ll tell you everything we know. Plus: A 4K Apple TV is on the way; our favorite TV shows from days of yore; and the search for the perfect corn dog.
Our thanks to Squarespace for supporting this episode. It’s simple to accept Apple Pay and sell your wares with your very own Squarespace.com website. Enter offer code CultCast at checkout to get 10 percent off any hosting plan.
CultCast #271 – BIG changes coming to iPhone 8 Subscribe on iTunes
Our Twitters, if you please
@bst3r / @erfon / @lkahney
Join us on Reddit to discuss episodes and vote on story topics for future episodes! TheCultCast.reddit.com
This week’s links
- Thanks to an improved rating from Wall Street investment firm Goldman Sachs, Apple shares have been on the rise this week. Shares were trading above the previous intra-day record high of $134.54 set on April 28, 2015.
- Apple’s IPO was on December 12, 1980, at $22 a share.
- At that time, 100 shares would have cost you $2,200.
- Since the IPO, the stock has split four times, including three 2-for-1 splits and one 7-for-1 split.
- Your 100 shares would have multiplied to 5,600 shares.
- Your initial $2,200 investment would now be worth $759,136.
- By comparison, a $2,200 investment in the S&P 500 in the same time would have netted you about $79,000.
- If you had invested $10,000, you’d now how have $3,446,477.44.
- Apple reportedly plans to pack a much bigger battery inside the new 4.7-inch iPhone set to be revealed later this year.
- The 2017 iPhone will feature a 5.8-inch OLED display panel with 5.15 inches of usable screen space, according to new predictions by KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.
- The display will reportedly take up the entire front of the iPhone, eliminating the bezels, with space at the bottom of the screen reserved for virtual buttons.
- Kuo thinks the OLED iPhone will have measurements similar to the 4.7-inch iPhone.
- Apple is expected to introduce a stacked logic board design to support bigger batteries, and will feature a battery capacity similar to the larger 5.5-inch iPhone 7 Plus.
- Kuo expects the OLED iPhone to cost in excess of $1,000.
- The OLED iPhone will be “the only bright spot” in the 2017 iPhone lineup, according to Kuo, which may mean that the other phones will receive only minor improvements.
- Japanese blog Mac Otakara recently reported that the 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch models will retain an aluminum design like the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, with only internal changes.
- Apple has been added to the Wireless Power Consortium, a group dedicated to developing and promoting mass-market adoption of the wireless charging interface standard Qi.
- This would seem to suggest that Apple will adopt the standard Qi wireless technology, as opposed to inventing its own charging-pad-free alternative, as has been heavily rumored.