This week on The CultCast: Why building a Hackintosh can get you the monster Mac you’ve always wanted. Plus: Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo reveals iPhone 8’s marquee feature; AirPods ship date is finally revealed; and stick around for our top Apple AirPort router replacement picks!
Our thanks to Casper for supporting this episode. Casper’s American-made mattresses have just the right amount of memory foam and latex, and people everywhere love them. Learn why and save $50 off your order at casper.com/cultcast.
CultCast #260 – Hackintosh Monster Mac! — Subscribe on iTunes
Our Twitters, if you please
@bst3r / @erfon / @lkahney
Join us on Reddit to discuss episodes and vote on story topics for future episodes! TheCultCast.reddit.com
This week’s links
Apple’s long-awaited AirPods will ship in ‘next few weeks’
- Apple revealed the earbuds alongside the iPhone 7, promising an October delivery date, but anxious customers have not been able to buy a set.
- In an email obtained by MacRumors, a customer asks Tim Cook where his AirPods are.
- Customer’s comment: “Give us a release date. I really bought in to the wireless vision you painted…. Let us know if it’s a month or 6 months, because then I’ll just buy some other wireless headphones.”
- Tim Cook’s response: “Thanks for your note. Sorry for the delay — we are finalizing them and I anticipate we will begin to ship over the next few weeks.”
Innovative iPhone 8 could shatter sales records
- Apple has big plans for the iPhone 8, claims KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.
- According to Kuo, Apple will be scaling up iPhone production 120 million to 150 million units in the second half of 2017. If true, this would would be well above the 110 million to 120 million units Apple ordered of its best-selling iPhone 6 generation handsets.
- Kuo claims this “unprecedented” demand will be centered around the myriad big improvements Apple has planned for its next-gen iPhone series.
iPhone 8’s glass design will finally bring wireless charging
- The rumored decision to adopt a glass chassis for the next-generation iPhone is reportedly fueled by a desire to improve wireless charging, another key feature supposedly coming to Apple’s 2017 phone.
- This report also comes from noted Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who claims that all 2017-era iPhones will boast the long-awaited wireless charging tech.
- Earlier this year, a report from Bloomberg said Apple was working with partners to overcome current technical barriers with wireless technology, including loss of power over distance. If successful, innovation could make Apple’s version of wireless charging considerably more advanced than Samsung’s.
- An update to the official Netflix app lets you download TV shows and movies so you can view them without munching through your data allowance.
- “Not all titles are available for download,” according to Netflix. “If you have a particular title in mind, you can search for that title and look for the download icon.”
People love Apple’s doomed AirPort more than any other router
- According to the more than 3,000 customers polled in J.D. Power’s 2016 Wireless Router Satisfaction Report, people love Apple’s routers more than any other.
- The top gripes were how often users had to reset their routers, general data speeds, and the difficulty of getting them set up.
- Apple was the only company to receive a 5-star consumer rating. That places it “among the best,” according to J.D. Power.