Controlling the new Apple TV just got a lot easier today now that Apple has finally released a brand-new version of its Remote app for iOS.
The all new Remote app can completely replace the Siri Remote that comes with Apple TV, allowing watchers to take full control of their viewing experience, without having to put down their iPhone.
Apple gave developers an early look at the new Remote app during WWDC this year by allowing them to download and use a beta build. Now all iPhone users can get in on the action by downloading it from the App Store.
The new Remote app replaces the old iTunes Remote app, however, it is missing some features that were found in the original, like the ability to control iTunes on a Mac from your iPhone or iPad. Apple also hasn’t added iPad optimization to the new Remote app either. You can still use it on an iPad, but it runs as a windowed iPhone app.
Here’s the full list of new features:
• Navigate Apple TV with touch gestures.
• Quickly enter text, email addresses, and passwords using the keyboard.
• Ask Siri to find something great to watch, listen to or play.
• Control the movie, TV show, or song that’s currently playing.
• Play games using the accelerometer and gyroscope.
• Turn on Game Mode for simplified game controls.