If you haven’t upgraded to iOS4, VolumeButtonExtender available on Cydia is worth checking out. While the iPhone offers a couple of ways to control your music, you need use the screen to do it, not a great solution if you’re jogging, using it in the car or otherwise need to turn adjust the volume or skip tracks quickly with just one hand and minimal attention.
VolumeButtonExtender gives you quick access to the music controls, even in standby mode, using just the volume buttons. Available on Cydia, the handy utility also helps extend your battery life. Here’s Cult of Mac’s guide to help get you started.
What you’ll need:
- A jailbroken iPhone/iPod Touch with Cydia installed.
- Wi-Fi and Internet access on the device.
- VolumeButtonExtender from Cydia
2. After Cydia launches, choose the ‘Sections’ tab and then select
3. Open the Backgrounder package and hit ‘Install.’ Next, choose ‘Confirm’ to begin downloading and installation.
Choose the ‘Restart Springboard’ option after installation is complete.
4. You can now launch the application from anywhere on the iPhone (lockscreen, homescreen, inside applications etc.) and even when the device is in standby mode.
Press and hold the volume up or down buttons to play or pause tracks.
Press and hold the ‘volume up’ button to skip to the next track.
Press and hold the ‘volume down’ button to skip to the beginning of the track or previous track.