After making customers wait an extra month, Apple believes iTunes 11 is finally ready for primetime. Apple just released iTunes 11 as a free download. You can get the update right here, or by choosing “Check for Updates” in iTunes.
The new iTunes features a number of redesigned elements that are meant to simplify the experience. With a new edge-to-edge design, album artwork is more prominent and users can click on individual albums to get expanded information on the album. Split screen view will allow you to browse your full library while adding songs to a playlist.
You can now create queues with the “Up Next” feature and search has seen significant improvements as well. iCloud has been built into iTunes 11 for better data synchronization. The iTunes storefront has been updated with a new look that is similar to the iOS version of iTunes. Apple has also made iTunes 11 more social by integrating Facebook likes into every entry.
Here’s the full list of changes from Apple:
- Completely Redesigned. iTunes makes it more fun to explore and enjoy your music, movies, and TV shows. You’ll love the beautiful edge-to-edge design, custom designs for each album, movie, or TV show in your library, and getting personal recommendations any time you click In the Store.
- A New Store. The iTunes Store has been completely redesigned and now features a clean look that makes it simpler than ever to see what’s hot and discover new favorites.
- Play purchases from iCloud. Your music, movie, and TV show purchases in iCloud now appear inside your library. Just sign-in with your Apple ID to see them. Double-click to play them directly from iCloud or download a copy you can sync to a device or play while offline.
- Up Next. It’s now simple to see which songs are playing next, all from a single place. Just click the Up Next icon in the center display and they’ll instantly appear. You can even reorder, add, or skip songs whenever you like.
- New MiniPlayer. You can now do a whole lot more with a lot less space. In addition to showing what’s playing, MiniPlayer now includes album art, adds Up Next, and makes it easy to search for something new to play—all from a smaller and more elegant design.
- Improved search. It’s never been easier to find what you’re looking for in iTunes. Just type in the search field and you’ll instantly see results from across your entire library. Select any result and iTunes takes you right to it.
- Playback syncing. iCloud now remembers your place in a movie or TV show for you. Whenever you play the same movie or episode from your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Apple TV, it will continue right where you left off.