Apple published a support article Monday indicating “It’s possible to receive a small and quick electrical (static) shock from your earbuds while listening to iPod or iPhone.”
The article reads like a schoolbook primer on the nature and causes of static electricity and points out that the condition is not limited to Apple hardware, that static can potentially build up on almost any hardware and could be discharged using any brand of earbuds. Support staff also helpfully note that receiving a static shock from a pair of earbuds does not necessarily indicate an issue with the iPod, iPhone, or earbuds.
OK. And the company found it necessary to publish this information because…?
Have iPod and iPod users been experiencing an inordinate build-up of static electricity with their devices?
Let us know in comments below if you find it shocking to use your Apple mobile device in windy, low-humidity conditions.