The SuperTooth Disco is a portable speaker that will wirelessly stream 28 watts of sound for your next parties dance floor. Here’s a hands-on review.
It won’t take the place of a dedicated sound system like the one you might have in your living room with only 28 watts of power, but for a portable Bluetooth device it is pretty impressive.
Once you open the box that it ships in you immediately notice that the speaker feels very sturdy and it comes in a nice protective travel case. Additional accessories include a 1/8 or 3.5mm cable for connecting an auxiliary device and a power supply. One the SuperTooth Disco is fully charged it lasts about three hours.
It’s perfect for just about everything and if used in your home office while plugged in you could stream music to it from your Bluetooth enabled Mac, iPhone or iPad. It will work with any A2DP Bluetooth supporting device and you can control the SuperTooth Disco from that device or visa versa using its easy to use control knob.
I found it easy to set up. I pulled it out of its box and paired it to my iPhone 4 in a matter of minutes. I was streaming music in less than five minutes. The music played fairly steadily with some gaps in play that might have been caused by an app running in the background. This problem wasn’t very frequent and went away altogether once I had the music playing and I had closed all the apps running in the background on the iPhone 4.
- The controls are basic playback controls along with an analog volume dial. I appreciated the minimal controls it’s definitely a device that gets to the point — it is all about playing music.
- It’s built to last and feels very solid with a nice black-grille finish on the front.
- The SuperTooth Disco many not be the most compact Bluetooth speaker available, but the dedicated subwoofer and impressive sound quality make up for it.
- The option to boost the bass helps to make the sound coming out of the SuperTooth device pretty impressive. Especially if you have it right in the middle of your next loud party.
- The included carrying case was a nice touch with one exception below.
- The carrying case would not hold the AC adapter or accessory cables.
- It’s hard to tell when the battery is getting low since there is no scale to observe indicating the current level the charge is at.
- There is some distortion at higher volume levels while listening to music with heavy bass.
- The retail price of $149.00 is high, but street value (see below) is usually well below retail.
If you are looking for a good sturdy portable speaker system that will let you get your party started from your iPod touch , iPhone, iPad, or Mac look no further than the SuperTooth Disco.
Model: SuperTooth Disco
Compatibility: Works with Bluetooth enabled devices that support A2DP.
List Price: $149.00
Buy Now: The SuperTooth Disco is available from Amazon for $101.93.