Redsn0w by DevTeam allows you to jailbreak your device, to get complete control over it (see why you should jailbreak here). Currently, redsn0w version 0.9.5b5-3 allows you to jailbreak a device that has already been upgraded to firmware 4.0, without losing the jailbreak data. However, it will NOT unlock the device, enabling it to be used with different GSM carriers worldwide.
Please note that this tool will NOT work if you have ANY iPhone 3GS, newer iPod Touch G2 or the iPod Touch G3. (On the newer iPod Touch, serial number begins with ‘MC’.)
- An iPhone or iPod Touch updated to firmware 4.0, which meets the above requirements.
- Firmware version 4.0 for iPhone 3G. (For iPod Touch, you must download it directly from iTunes using ‘Download Only’ option when prompted and then get it from /Users/yourusername/Library/iTunes/iPod Software Updates/ on a Mac or /yourusername/Application Data/Apple Computer/iTunes/iPod Software Updates/ on Windows).
- iTunes 9.2 available here.
- redsn0w 0.9.5b5-4 for iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G (Mac/PC).
Please backup all your information using iTunes before following this tutorial.
1. Download redsn0w and extract the ZIP. Double-click to open redsn0w application.
2. Click the ‘Browse’ button below the text, it will ask you to locate a firmware file, choose the 4.0 firmware for your device and click ‘Open’.
3. It will then process the firmware file. After it says ‘IPSW successfully identified’, click the ‘Next’ button located near the bottom-right and it will download some jailbreak data from the server.
4. Then, choose if you want to install cydia, boot in verbose mode (for developers), enable multitasking, homsescreen wallpaper and/or battery percentage. If you want to install custom boot logos and/or recovery logos, choose the options and locate the particular image files, when prompted and click ‘Open’, make sure the logo files are as per the guidelines listed above and click the ‘Next’ button again.
5. Now, it will ask you to connect the device to your Mac/PC and then turn it off, do so and click ‘Next’. Now follow the on-screen instructions to proceed.
6. The device will reboot a couple of times showing ‘Downloading Jailbreak Data’ logo on the device’s screen, while redsn0w sends modified files to the device. When redsn0w is done, click the ‘Finish’ button and let the rest of process continue on the device, please be patient.
7. After it reboots, it might just go into the recovery mode. At this point, press and hold both home and power button till the screen goes off and now just press the power button to power it on. When it boots up, your device should now be jailbroken with Cydia on the homescreen.
All credit for the great tool goes to the DevTeam.Related