iOS grabs 67 percent of the global enterprise market

gold-iPhone-5s-top

Apple may have just forged a partnership with its old nemesis to penetrate deeper into enterprise, but according to one report, iOS is still king among U.S. corporations and accounts for over two thirds of total activations, while Microsoft’s productivity beast barely even register.

Screen Shot 2014-08-12 at 9.59.53 AM

iOS accounted for 67% of total activations in the enterprise space in Q2 2014, according a Good Technology’s latest Mobility Index Report. The number marks a drop of 5 percentage points since the last semi-annual report, and Android has been the mobile platform capitalizing the most off iOS’ dip in popularity.

Android activations increased to 32% last quarter, while Microsoft continued to flounder with the negligible 1% its enjoyed for the last five quarters. Breaking the numbers down to tablets and smartphones, Android tablets only make up 3% of the enterprise, while iOS tablets are at 16%, aided by a five percent boost from the Government and public sector.

BlackBerry activations weren’t represented in the report since BlackBerry uses its own enterprise server for corporate email access, but with companies like Ford fleeing BlackBerry en masse, the company

  • Whocares

    I wish one day Android can restrict the openness more to reduce malware and security issues. It’s great OS but it’s out of control with fragmentations.

    • Nick V

      So you are stating that you know absolutely nothing about Android??? Where is the fragmentation? Apple is just as fragmented as Android. Where is the malware you speak of? I have never had any kind of virus, malware or trojan on my phone or tablet?

      Did you know that Apple lost a percentage in the enterprise that Android happily took from them?

  • KnDr25

    So, iOS is number 1 if you don’t count BlackBerry?

    This seems like making the statement that Safari is the number one PC browser (if your data collection source only samples MACs).

    • Kr00

      No, BB is losing enterprise clients en-masse, and even if you did add them, their numbers still don’t reflect the massive switch to iOS. Your analogy is ridiculous.

    • Not Debating — Informing

      Why would you count BlackBerry when they are basically dead? Enterprise customers are fleeing from BlackBerry like rats escaping from a sinking ship.

      • Bridge

        BlackBerry is not “basically dead. ” do your research. Don’t make assumptions. And BlackBerry is still number one in Enterprise.

      • Not Debating — Informing

        I have done my research. They are basically dead.

        No, they are not “still number one in Enterprise.” That’s as silly as claiming that VHS was “number one in the home” in 2002, when DVD player sales were booming and VHS sales were dead.

        What counts is not installed base — it’s what the installed base is being replaced with. Most enterprise customers are not replacing Blackberrys with other Blackberrys. They are replacing them with iOS anbd Android devices. According to Gartner, by 2016 BlackBerry’s user share will shrink by 60 percent; Blackberry users are

        According to comScore, BlackBerry’s American market share fell to 3.1% in January 2014, which is 0.1 percentage points below Windows Phone’s similarly anemic 3.2%. Apple expanded its share by one percentage point to 41.6% in January while Android’s share declined slightly to 51.7%.

        In April, eWeek reported that “the days of BlackBerry being the company in the enterprise space—the standard smartphone for corporate for IT departments—are over.”

      • Bridge

        Again, you’re not even correct. Have you don’t research as of late? Nah, why would you? Everyone says they’re dead, but they fail to even really look. What you’re examining are proofs supporting your claim. That’s known as bias. Fact check yourself.

      • Bridge
      • Not Debating — Informing

        You wrote: “Again, you’re not even correct.”

        When I state something, it is correct. That’s because my statements are based on reality, unlike the claims that you seem to conjure up from within your little world of wishes and make-believe.

        You wrote: “What you’re examining are proofs supporting your claim. That’s known as bias.”

        Facts, statistics, and level-headed analysis support my claims. You’re the biased one in this discussion, which is why you have been unable to cite any credible evidence to support your claims.

        I retired this year at age 52 on the value of my stock market investments. That’s because I don’t let personal biases cloud my judgment when evaluating the long-term prospects for a company.

        You wrote: “Blackberry of last year, or two to three years ago is not the blackberry of today.”

        Had you read my post before angrily responding, you would have seen that I was quoting figures from comScore’s 2014 study, not one from “two to three years ago.” The Gartner projection was from their latest published statistics. The eWeek article was from April.

      • Bridge

        Right above this one? You missed this?

      • Bridge

        Blackberry of last year, or two to three years ago is not the blackberry of today.

      • Not Debating — Informing

        See above (and try to stick to a one-for-one reply model — just edit your reply if you think of something that you wish to add).

      • Bridge

        Check the link. Also, I don’t care what your age is. Just because you were into this and that, doesn’t mean you’re automatically correct just because you state something. Also, just because someone says something, does not make it true. Reading something on the Internet doesn’t automatically make it true. BlackBerry is doing well, they are profitable again and you’ve clearly showed how you’re ignorant of certain things present in the today. BlackBerry doesn’t need people to replace blackberrys with BlackBerrys. BES 10, Google it.

      • Not Debating — Informing

        You wrote: “Check the link.”

        The one from the article entitled “Ford plans to ditch Blackberry for thousands of iPhones by end of 2014″? That one, which included “The move is an obvious blow to Blackberry, a company that once reigned in the corporate world and now possesses less than 1% of smartphone market share.”? That one?

        You wrote: “Also, I don’t care what your age is”

        That I was able to retire at age 52 on my stock investments, many in the tech sector, is a good indication that I have a strong ability to analyze companies and markets.

        By contrast, why should anyone trust you? Unlike me, you don’t cite sources for your claims. You don’t provide analysis, statistics, or study results that bear out what you write. You apparently don’t have significant investing success in the tech sector. You’re not giving us much to go on as far as why we should accept what you say as having merit.

        You wrote: “doesn’t mean you’re automatically correct just because you state something”

        What makes me automatically correct is my refusal make false statements.

        You wrote: “BlackBerry is doing well, they are profitable again and you’ve clearly showed how you’re ignorant of certain things present in the today.”

        No, I am not ignorant about anything we are discussing. That’s why I’m discussing this topic.

        BlackBerry is not “doing well.” It has shrunk its workforce by roughly 60 percent over the last three years. That’s more than 10,000 people! They laid off 4,500 people last September alone. They have sold off real estate they had purchased for expansion, and closed manufacturing facilities,

        So if BlackBerry gets down to 50 people in a warehouse and they make $15,000 profit, are you going to tell me that they are “doing well”?

        BlackBerry has taken on a huge long-term debt of $1.3 billion as of May. 2014.

        Net operating cash flow has decreased by more than 52.% compared to the same quarter last year and revenues have plummeted by 68.5% during that same time.

        BlackBerry smartphone shipments remain 78% lower than shipment levels from a year ago.

        You wrote: “BlackBerry doesn’t need people to replace blackberrys with BlackBerrys. BES 10, Google it.”

        They are doing a fire-sale on BES 10 perpetual licenses with lifetime support in a desperate ploy to bring in cash. That’s not a long-term strategy for growth. I expect the Apple/IBM alliance to destroy their sales of BES 10. BlackBerry’s stock declined nearly 12% the day the partnership was announced.

        People entrusted with making platform commitments for Fortune 500 companies aren’t going to bet on BlackBerry and it’s $1.3billion debt over Apple and IBM.

        Here are some numbers for you to consider. In the last 12 months:

        NASDAQ is up +21.66%
        Google is up +29.19%
        Apple is up +50.17%
        Blackberry is down -2.66%

        If you feel the need to respond, then do your homework and start citing facts, figures, studies, and experts that support your claims.

      • Bridge

        Okay. So, while yes, Blackberry Ltd. has indeed been down in the recent years with their figures, and especially in the consumer area, they have always maintained a strong presence in Enterprise. Even now, the Blackberry OS is the most secure mobile operating system, and I’m sure you’d agree on this. BlackBerry has actually seen some positive influx in certain countries with the release of their newer devices, and has struck a deal with Foxconn in which Foxconn will design lower end phones in a five year deal. The first of which was the Z3,.which has seen success in the countries in which it has been launched so far. But, you’d just call it desperation. now, to conti—forget this. BlackBerry isn’t dead, if they were dead, the company would be nonexistent. They are on the move, they are coming back.

      • Not Debating — Informing

        That was better, but you kind of fizzled out at the end there, nitpicking whether “dead” meant literally out of business when we both know I meant that ‘dead’ was where BlackBerry was headed.

        As to security, your information is outdated. While Android is still a steaming mess when it comes to security, enterprise IT management is seeing the iPhone as edging out Blackberry.

        —————-

        From “Mobile Security Smackdown: iOS vs. Android vs. BlackBerry vs. Windows Phone’, published in May by CRN: News, Analysis, and Perspective for VARS and Technology Integrators:

        “Mobile security experts and solution providers agree. They say Cuepertino, Calif.-based Apple has the edge because it owns so much of the mobile stack — from the application layer (App Store), operating system (iOS), hardware (iPhone/iPad) but not the infrastructure layer (wireless carriers).

        “iOS is the most secure because attention to security is focused at the app level as much as it is at the operating system level,” said Ira Grossman, CTO of end user and mobile computing at Cleveland-based MCPc, a national solution provider specializing in mobile solutions with its Anyplace Workspace.

        “If you don’t have a secure app, it doesn’t matter how secure the operating system is,” Grossman said. “So the fact that the Apple Store is curated, that provides a level of security…”

        ———————-

        I agree that the Z3 has been fairly successful, and if BES relied on BlackBerry handsets, I’d understand why BlackBerry would be pushing up volumes on low-profit, mass-market handsets like the Z3. But one of the analysts I was reading was saying that the Z3 is another example of BlackBerry waffling. First Chen announces they are getting out of the consumer handset arena to concentrate on enterprise mobile software offerings. Then they are selling a consumer-oriented, mid-level handset.

        You wrote: “BlackBerry isn’t dead, if they were dead, the company would be nonexistent. They are on the move, they are coming back.”

        in contrast, CNN Money wrote, in an article entitled “The toughest CEO jobs in America”:

        “Most doomed: John Chen
        You can pretty much stick a fork in BlackBerry (BBRY) as a smartphone competitor. Sales of BlackBerry phones are so dismal that the company stopped bothering telling investors how many customers it has. The company is selling its assets to stay liquid. Investors have cheered new CEO John Chen’s plan to focus on the company’s software products, but BlackBerry remains a shell of its former self.”

        So, go argue with CNN Money if you disagree.

      • Bridge

        I don’t have any energy for anything, or any desire. Just a sea of nothing. Waste of my time, or should I say that I just lost the desire to even move an ounce? Yep. And I don’t even care, really. I won’t be commenting on anything else. Fucking shit.

  • Kr00

    No, BB is losing enterprise clients en-mass, and even if you did add them, their numbers still don’t reflect the massive switch to iOS. Your analogy is ridiculous.

    • KnDr25

      My point was the article states ios is number one in enterprise activations, but there is not sufficient data given to support that statement (true or not). BB has been number one in enterprise for a long time, and yes is now declining for good reason. However, it is disengenuous to make a statement that X company is higher than Y company without the data to back it up.

  • Kr00

    Where’s the end of the story? It just cut off mid sentence.

About the author

Buster HeinBuster Hein is Cult of Mac's Senior News Editor and lives in Phoenix, Arizona. Twitter: @bst3r.

(sorry, you need Javascript to see this e-mail address)| Read more posts by .

Posted in News |