If you’re an iPad-owning fan of turn-based tactical games, you’ll be happy to know that popular Nintendo DS game Panzer Tactics DS has received an iPad remake.
Called Panzer Tactics HD, the game puts players in 1939 Europe and allows them to engage in three mission-extensive campaigns — creating tactics as part of the German Wehrmacht, the Soviet Red Army and the Western Allies.
I was a huge fan of Panzer Tactics DS back when it was released in 2007. Although the multiplayer mode had a few faults, the single-player campaigns were massively rewarding, and the game was impressively deep. I’m therefore looking forward to diving into the iPad version of the game to see what effect the spit shine of improved graphics and other features will have.
According to developers, the game includes the following key features:
- An exciting single-player campaign on the side of the German army. The Soviet army and Western Allies campaigns can be purchased separately.
- Up to 33 exhilarating historical missions, including covert operations behind enemy lines. 11 missions are already included in the basic version.
- Over 150 different units, be it at sea, on land or in the air
- Gripping tactical battles: Turn-based battles with plenty of depth!
- Up to 33 heroic officers that help motivate their units. 11 generals are already included in the basic version.
- Use the different terrain, weather and seasons to your advantage!
- Challenging combat: Every move needs to be well thought out and can be the deciding factor between victory or defeat.
- High replay value: Engage in thrilling combat in scenarios against the AI.
A trailer for the game can be seen at the below link:
The only major concern I have (as is the case with every game I enjoyed back in the day, which makes its way to iOS) is what the situation is going to be with in-app purchases. As it is, the game already costs $4.99, with additional campaigns then unlockable by shelling out extra cash.
Panzer Tactics HD is available in the App Store, for iPads running iOS 6.0 or later.