Super-popular iOS strategy game Clash of Clans has received a major update — most notably adding a slew of new Hero abilities.
Version 5.172 also features numerous gameplay enhancements involving flyers, freezers, boosts, clan co-leaders and gem overgrowth. On top of that, there are various interface improvements, balance tweaks, performance improvements, and the usual unspecified bug fixes.
The game — which allows you to build a village, train troops, and then battle thousands of other players around the world — is available for free from the App Store.
A full list of improvements covered by the new update is reproduced below:
All hail new Hero abilities!
– Both Heroes have acquired special abilities that can be activated once per battle, after they have been deployed.
– Iron Fist: The Barbarian King and nearby Barbarians become enraged for a short time, moving faster and dealing more damage (does not stack with the Rage Spell).
– Royal Cloak: The Archer Queen hides from and becomes invisible to all enemy defenses for a short time.
– Both Hero abilities will instantly call in a group of Barbarians or Archers to reinforce their King or Queen.
– Hero abilities unlock for free at Hero level 5 and improve in strength every additional 5 Hero levels!
Flyers, freezers and brand new boosts
– Level 6 Minions are here to wreak havoc on enemy bases!
– Level 5 Freeze Spell leaves defenses on ice for longer than ever before.
– Get your Heroes back into battle faster by boosting their recovery 4x while sleeping.
– Boost cost and duration of Barracks and Spell Factory now reduced from 4 hours/20 gems to 2 hours/10 gems.
Clan Co-leaders take charge
– Clan Co-leaders can now be appointed by the Clan Leader or other Clan Co-leaders.
– Clan Co-leaders have all the privileges of Clan Leaders, except for the ability to demote or kick other Co-leaders.
– Clan Elders are now less powerful to prevent abuse, no longer able to promote or demote and only able to kick normal members.
– New plant growth is being found with more gems inside than ever before!
– Mysterious boxes packed with gems are being reported all throughout the realm. Keep an eye out for them!
– Chat is now available even when away from your village, such as when visiting and watching replays
– Army Camps, the Spell Factory and Clan Castle now display used capacity next to their name when they are selected.
– Friends List has been moved to the Leaderboard menu, on the last tab, replacing the Search Clans tab (Search Clans is still available from the Clan Castle menu).
– Rage Spell info now correctly indicates damage percentage increase (e.g. 30% instead of 130%).
– Obstacles can now be cleared in edit mode.
– Decreased the upgrade cost and time of Freeze Spell levels 3 and 4.
– Decreased Rage Spell level 5 damage bonus from 80% to 70%.
– Increased Hog Rider training cost by about 30% on all levels.
– Increased Valkyrie hitpoints by about 20% on all levels.
– Increased Pekka hitpoints from 3400 to 3500 on level 3 and from 3800 to 4000 on level 4.
Many more bug fixes, tweaks and performance improvements
That’s a whole lot more hours you’ll be losing to iOS games in 2014, then.