T-Mobile finally has the iPhone 5. It’s great, and cheap, but unfortunately its data speeds are slower than an iPhone 5 on AT&T. Not satisfied with their slower iPhone 5s, Joseph Brown and Sky Zangas did some digging around in carrier update files and figured out a way to boost data speeds on the T-Mobile iPhone 5.
To get faster data speeds on T-Mobile’s network with the iPhone 5 all you have to do is install a custom carrier update. That sounds like a tough task, but it’s actually pretty easy, and thanks to the guys at TmoNews, here’s a quick guide on how to do it:
1. Plug your iPhone 5 into iTunes and backup the device so you won’t lose anything.
2. In the device itself, tap the “Settings” app and navigate to “General >Reset > Reset Network Settings”
3. Once you have done that, the iPhone will auto reboot.
5. Enable iTunes to accept custom carrier bundles by typing the following in Terminal: defaults write com.apple.iTunes carrier-testing -bool true
6. Windows users, you will need to open command prompt and type the following and enter it in:
For users on 64 bit Windows: cd “C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes” then type: iTunes.exe/setPrefInt carrier-testing 1
For users on 32 bit Windows: cd “C:\Program Files\iTunes” then type: iTunes.exe /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1
7. Restart iTunes
8. Click on the tab for your iPhone 5 and click “Update” or “Check For Update” while holding down the Alt / Option key for Mac users and the Shift key for Windows users. Navigate to where you downloaded the hacked carrier update file named “TMobile_US_iPhone.ipcc,” and select it then click Open.
9. The carrier update should now successfully be installed. Restart your iPhone 5 for any changes to take effect.
10. If you encounter any problems or wish to revert back just download the file below and repeat the above steps only with the default file instead.
1. Download the file to your device through iFile here:
2. Unarchive the files and copy the file name “overrides_N41_N42.pri” then navigate to var/mobile/Library/Carrier Bundles/TMobile_US.bundle and paste it into the folder replacing the original .pri file.
3. Reboot your device for changes to take effect.
4. If you encounter any problems or wish to revert back just download the file below and repeat the above steps only with the default file instead.Related