It looks like T-Mobile wants 2013 to be the year they truly start competing against the dominant forces of AT&T and Verizon. They just sewed up a deal to bring the iPhone to their carrier, and they’ve been trying to hurry up and bring iPhone-friendly HSPA+ speeds to fourteen new metropolitan areas.
T-Mobile announced today that they spent $4 billion investing in the modernization of their network over the last 10 months. The improvements mean that more than 100 million people now have enhanced coverage that the iPhone can take advantage of.
The upgrades T-Mobile has made will provide improved signal strength to the customers in those 14 metropolitan areas, along with better voice and data enhancements. T-Mobile is also telling customers to bring over their unlocked AT&T iPhones to enjoy faster speeds. According to tests, iPhone 4S users averaged 70% faster download speeds on T-Mobile than AT&T.
Along with the recent enhancements, T-Mobile plans to continue the expansion of their network advancement in Los Angeles and San Diego. The list of cities that T-Mobile has brought improved service to includes the following:
- New York, including The Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens and Staten Island
- Newark, N.J., including the surrounding cities of East Orange, Elizabeth, Jersey City, North Bergen, Paterson and Union City
- Boston and Cambridge, Mass., including the surrounding cities of Amherst, Andover, Arlington, Bedford, Belmont, Billerica, Braintree, Brockton, Brookline, Burlington, Canton, Chelmsford, Chelsea, Chicopee, Dedham, Everett, Framingham, Hadley, Holbrook, Holyoke, Lawrence, Lexington, Lowell, Ludlow, Lynn, Malden, Marblehead, Medford, Melrose, Metheun, Milton, Nahant, Natick, Needham, Newton, Quincy, Reading, Revere, Salem, Saugus, Sommerville, Stoneham, Swampscott, Tewksbury, Wakefield, Walpole, Waltham, Watertown, Weston, Westwood, Weymouth, Wilmington, Winchester, Winthrop and Woburn
- Springfield, Mass.
- Providence, R.I., including the surrounding cities of Cranston, North Providence, Pawtucket and Warren
- Detroit and Warren, Mich., including the surrounding cities of Dearborn, Romulus, Royal Oak, Sterling Heights and Troy
- Dallas, including the surrounding cities of Arlington, Carrolton, The Colony, Denton, Farmers Branch, Flower Mound, Frisco, Garland, Grand Prairie, Irving, Lancaster, Lewisville, McKinney, Mesquite, Plano, Richardson, Rowlett and Southlake
- Fort Worth, Texas, including the surrounding cities of Keller and Mansfield
- Austin, Texas including the surrounding city of Round Rock
- San Antonio
- Tampa, Fla., including the surrounding cities of Clearwater, Largo, Safety Harbor, St. Petersburg and Vinoy Park