Alien Blue, undoubtedly the best third-party Reddit client for iOS, has just received a great new update on the iPhone. In addition to a long list of improvements and optimizations, version 2.6 brings the ability to sort your subreddits into groups, and then sync them via iCloud; Retina subreddit icons, a native Imgur album browser, a native GIF player, and lots more.
One of the updates biggest features is subreddit grouping. Now, not only can you add your own subreddits, but you can then organize them into folders. For example, you can have one for Apple news, one for funnies, one for gaming, and my favorite — one for “not safe for work” subreddits. All of these sync via iCloud, so once you’ve organized them on your iPhone, you’ll automatically see them on your other devices.
What’s more, those subreddits will now have Retina icons for the latest iOS devices. There are also native views for Imgur albums, and GIF images.
There complete list of changes includes:
- Discover Subreddits by category and interest (PRO)
- Subreddit Grouping & Organisation (PRO) (Synced via iCloud)
- Revised Canvas UI
- Retina Subreddit Icons
- Visited Links are synced to iCloud between devices
- Random Subreddits (in Explore Reddit group)
- Flair (Settings -> Comment Settings to enable)
- Revised UI for Send PM screen (presents captcha only when required)
- Optimal Browsing – Renders web articles to fit nicely
- Optimal: Image links are presented without clutter
- Optimal: Youtube videos are presented without clutter
- Optimal: Native Animated GIF player (with loading progress)
- Optimal: Native Imgur album browser
- Specify order of Search results
- View subreddit icons and sidebar info for non-subscribed reddits
- Message Moderators
- Ability to subscribe (or add to group) directly from within a subreddit
- Exclusion filter can now be used to filter out domains
- Added link to create an account for new Reddit users
- Added Setting: Show Voting Icons (Posts)
- Added Setting: Show Voting Icons (Comments)
- Added “Readability” to sharing options
- Improved scroll performance in comments
- Support for double-tapping image to zoom-to-fit in browser
- Minimalist display of QuickMeme links (Optimal)
- Improved handling of spoiler tags
- Drastic improvements to animated gif load times (Optimal View)
- Disabled comment graying on touch (distracting when resting/scrolling)
- Revised Login screen UI
That’s a pretty big update, right?
Alien Blue is available for free on iOS, but we strongly recommend upgrading within the app, which adds lots more features.