It’s been rumored that Microsoft is planning an iPad version of its popular Office productivity suite, but until then, we’ve got a free alternative. CloudOn is an iPad app that brings Word, Powerpoint, and Excel to your favorite Apple tablet.
CloudOn integrates with Dropbox to let you edit and create documents on the go. Your work is then synced back to your desktop.
CloudOn lets you:
– Use Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint on your iPad to create or edit documents.
– Rename, delete and manage documents with your Dropbox account
– Display, edit or create charts, change formatting, spell check, insert comments, into any Word, Excel or PowerPoint files
– Track changes while reviewing Word documents
– Use pivot tables and insert formulas in Excel workbooks
– Display and edit animation or transitions in PowerPoint presentations
– Present in full PowerPoint mode (not in PDF)
– Open files directly from your iPad email accounts or Dropbox account
– Automatically save documents to avoid losing changes
You’ll need a Dropbox account to sync your work across devices. Because the app is heavily server-based, the buttons and actions can tend to be a bit sluggish. All of the main Office features you would expect are included, so the app is worth a try for iPad-owning Office fanatics. Download CloudOn for free in the App Store and let us know what you think.
Coincidentally, Apple offers its iWork suite in the App Store. Pages, Keynote, and Numbers can all be download for $9.99 each. You’ll get all the tools that Microsoft offers in a more intuitive interface. It’s a small price to pay for not having to use that hideous menu ribbon.
Update: It appears that CloudOn is no longer available in the US App Store.