This component, currently for sale through a Chinese parts store, is purportedly the flex cable for the iPhone 5’s home button. But we’re hoping that’s complete rubbish.
Why? Because if this really is the iPhone 5’s home button, it seems to rule out that capacitive touch home button that we’ve all been dreaming about.
Although slightly different, this component isn’t too dissimilar to that currently featured in the iPhone 4. That big silver circle you can see — that kind of looks a little like a watch battery — is what makes your iPhone’s home button pop back up when you press it.
If this piece is present on the flex cable for the iPhone 5, it would seemingly rule out a new capacitive touch button, indicating Apple has stuck with the traditional physical button instead.
The Chinese seller clearly states the component is for the “iPhone 5 (5th Generation),” and even states it is an “original” part, leaving this lengthy description:
- High quality and original home button flex cable for iPhone 5, not include home button
– It is used to replace your broken, damaged, cracked or unusable home button flex cable
– If the home button for your iPhone 5 is working only intermittently or not at all, this repair part will solve the problem
– Each item has been tested and in good condition before shipping
– This is not an easy job for someone who has no technical skills with Disassembling or Assembling Cellphones/mobile phones, so only purchase this item if you know how to install it
– Highly recommend professional installation. We will not be held responsible for any damages to your cellphone/mobile phone that you may cause during the changing of replacement parts
– Note: The tip of iPhone 5 home button flex cable has a little difference from that of iPhone 4, see the picture shows
iPhone 5 (5th Generation)
1 x iPhone 5 Home Button Flex Cable Ribbon Circuit Repair Part Original
If this part really is the real deal, then those hopes of a fancy capacitive touch button are down the pan — unless Apple comes up with a capacitive/physical button hybrid, but I can’t imagine that’s going to be the case.
Will you be disappointed if the iPhone 5 doesn’t have a capacitive touch home button?
- Via RazorianFly